For example, you can set your ads to be shown to just 40 year old, single, male facebook users who have kids, like hiking and live in Switzerland. This example is very specific. However, you limit the number of facebook users, who will get to see your ad. The fewer attributes you set for your target audience, the bigger your target audience will be and the more facebook users will get to see your ad.
In order to advertise on facebook, you already have to be a facebook user. If you do not have a facebook account yet, you will have to open one.
Go through the following steps in order to advertise on facebook:
- Log in to facebook with your user name and password
- Click on your profile, click on “Create an Ad” on the right side
- Now you can start creating your ad
- „Design your ad“: Under „Destination URL“, enter the website that you want users, who click on your ad, to go to. You can add the URL of your facebook page or the url of your website. Under “Title” you should add a title for your ad. The text of your add can not have more than 135 characters and has to be added under “Body Text”. Under “Image” you can upload a picture for your facebook ad. This is optional. However, pictures can not be bigger than 110x80 px.
The last sentence of your ad should give an instruction to the viewer, such as “Order now!”.
On the right side you can view your ad, while you input the text.
- “Targeting”: When you put in details here, you will see that the “estimated reach” will decrease. Remember that not all facebook users make all information in their accounts and thus may not be counted as your target audience, although they should.
Under “Location” enter the country in which the ad should be displayed. The ad can be seen in the entire country or in specific cities (“by city”) and the area around them.
Under “Demographics” you can provide information on age, gender, relationship status and languages of your target group.
Under “Likes&Interest” you can add certain styles of music, bands, movies etc.
Under “Education&Work” you can specify what education it is your target audience should have. You can even add a company or organization.
If you advertise your facebook page in your ad, you should add it under “Connections on Facebook” > “Target users who are not already connected to:”. Otherwise, facebook users who already like your facebook page will get to see the ad as well.
- Under “Campaigns and Pricing“ you will have to decide whether you want to „pay for impressions“ (CPM – cost per impression) or „pay for clicks“ (CPC – cost per click). You also have to add your maximum bid. The maximum bid is the highest price you are willing to pay per 1,000 impressions or per click. Just choose “Use Suggested Bid” – this is the simplest way when you are just starting out with facebook ads.
I recommend you use the model of CPC (paying for every click on your ad), as this is more cost effective.
- Click on “Review Ad”.
- You will now see your facebook ad and you can also assign a name. This is especially useful if you decide to run different ads.
- The costs for your ad will be charged to the credit card that you have already stored in your facebook account. If you have not put in your credit card information, you will have to do so now.
- If you do not want to change your ad, click “Place Order”.
- Under “Run Status” you will now see “Pending review”. This means that facebook is currently reviewing your ad. You will receive an email from facebook once your ad is approved and active.
- In this overview, you will later on be able to see how many people have seen your ad and how many actually clicked on it.